|When Cuba Gooding Jr. shouted "Show me the money!" He not only won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in "Jerry Maguire," ('96), he went into film history and introduced into American pop-culture a timeless catch phrase.
The American Film Institute has complied a list of the top 100 Movie Quotes which includes Gooding's rallying cry and Sidney Poitier's riviting line from In the Heat of the Night, (67) "They call me Mister Tibbs!"
Of course the usual suspects made the list:
* "You talking to me?" Taxi Driver, ('76)
* "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke, ('67)
* "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now, ('79)
Leading the list was:
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind, ('39) followed by
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, ('72).
Those who have never seen those films have instantaneous recognition because of the film's impact on American pop-culture.
The winning phrases were chosen by from a list of 400 films by 1,500 jurors. Voting criteria included a nominated quote's cultural impact on the national lexicon and whether it was used to invoke the legacy of the film in which it appeared.
The following is a list of the top 25 most memorable movie quotes as determined by the AFI. The Complete list of AFI's top movie quotes is listed on their Web site: http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/100yearslist.aspx
1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind, 1939
2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, 1972
3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront, 1954
4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
5. "Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca, 1942
6. "Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact, 1983
7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset Boulevard., 1950
8. "May the Force be with you." Star Wars, 1977
9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." All About Eve, 1950
10. "You talking to me?" Taxi Driver, 1976
11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke, 1967
12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now, 1979
13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Love Story, 1970
14. "The stuff that dreams are made of." The Maltese Falcon, 1941
15. "E.T. phone home." E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, 1982
16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!" In the Heat of the Night, 1967
17. "Rosebud." Citizen Kane, 1941
18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" White Heat, 1949
19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Network, 1976
20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Casablanca, 1942
21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." The Silence of the Lambs, 1991
22. "Bond. James Bond." Dr. No, 1962
23. "There's no place like home." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small." Sunset Boulevard, 1950
25. "Show me the money!" Jerry Maguire, 1996